- Five Steps to Generating Better Business Referrals
February 02, 2012
Your best source of new business is referrals from happy customers or clients. The challenge is: How to get your clients to refer you all the time?
- Make the Holidays a Launching Pad for Repeat Business
November 08, 2011
What can you do as a small business owner between now and the end of the year to set your business up for a better 2012?
- Should You Fear the Groupon Groupie? Couponing in the 21st Century Has New Perils.
August 19, 2011
A friend expressed frustration the other day with a Yelp promotion he was running. His experience mirrored that of many small businesses. How best to use online couponing tools?
- Video Marketing: Well Within the Reach of Small Businesses
July 02, 2011
Too many years ago in a college far, far, away, I had a friend who pronounced video as "the coming thing." That was a different era (anything pre-2000 is a very different era) but with one pronouncement this guy hit the nail on the head.
- Social Media Connects Us to Friends - Not Prospects
June 02, 2011
Small businesses must clearly understand the core dynamic of social media if they want to avoid getting deeply frustrated by the whole channel.
- Add 'Inbound Marketing' to your Marketing Options List
May 19, 2011
Have you come across the concept of "inbound marketing" yet? Does it give you the shivers because it seems like another confusing bit of marketing shorthand that is going to cost you money? Relax.
- Does a Small Business Need to Tweet?
April 14, 2011
Some small businesspeople get Twitter, but most still do not. How can any small businessperson tap the power of Twitter if they don't want to tweet?
- E-Mail Etiquette: The Piñata versus the Trojan Horse
April 08, 2011
E-mail is cheap, highly flexible and effective as a communication tool, and small businesses use it extensively. The biggest challenge: crafting e-mails that customers actually want to open.
- Should Small Businesses Still Book Yellow Page Ads?
March 28, 2011
One of the most agonizing marketing decisions a small retail business must make is whether to include printed Yellow Page ads in their plan and budget.
- Small Business Marketing: Making Sense of Too Many Choices
March 23, 2011
Marketing is a confusing world for most small businesspeople. How to choose between increasingly bewildering options?
For a full list of my Forbes articles, click here.